Now is a great time to check in with yourself, since it’s almost February and the excitement of new possibilities is probably dwindling into normal everyday routines and habits. If you’re finding yourself falling into past habits and losing your motivation for the goals you set in 2019, here are a few tips for recharging your success:
1. GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!!! Seriously…give yourself some grace to be a busy human. I don’t mean talk yourself into binge watching Netflix for the third day this week. I’m saying understand that even with the best of intentions, life might get in the way sometimes. Your goal might be 3 workouts each week, BUT your schedule might implode on Wednesday and you might only get 1 or 2 workouts in for the week. THAT’S OK…you got something in…next week try again for 3! Making your health a priority doesn’t mean that when life gets unpredictable you let the busy derail everything. Persistence is key!
2. Nutrition is 90% of the battle!!! I’m not talking about ‘cold turkey’ restrictions for the rest of your life. You must be honest with yourself and understand your triggers (sugar, salt, etc). You might have to really focus on cutting down some triggers for a few weeks, but that doesn’t mean you cut them out of your life forever. You need to focus on small daily accomplishments. For example, this week make WATER intake your focus: each day increase your water by 16-32oz. This doesn’t mean you drink your extra water bottle with 2 donuts and a bag of chips on the side. Give yourself time to make life changes…it doesn’t have to be everything all at once!
3. Set REALISTIC goals for yourself!!! I can’t stress this enough…be realistic about who you are and your life. If you are someone who HATES getting up early, don’t sign up for the 5am cycling class and then beat yourself up all week because you hit the snooze button and missed it! Don’t set goals for who you wish you could be “someone who works out in the early morning”, set goals for who you are right now. Through your consistent effort each week, you might find it easier to workout earlier EVENTUALLY, but don’t set yourself up for failure in the beginning.
4. DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!! We are all interested in different things and have different skills in this life. If we were all the same, there would be no flavor, diversity or excitement…we would all agree with each other and do the same things all day…BORING!!! I have learned so much from my personal training clients. Many of them challenge and inspire me to make changes in my life outside of the gym and have the expertise in that area to help me improve. Human interaction should be a mix of learning and growing from each other. If you are overwhelmed by the thought of working out, set an appointment to talk to a personal trainer. You should feel comfortable with your trainer and never feel pressured to do a plan that isn’t appropriate for your ability, goals, or financial situation.
5. JUST DO IT!!! We can rationalize and make excuses all day long. You only get 1 body in this life. There is no MAGIC PILL or miracle workout! You WILL NOT love it every time! There WILL BE days that you would rather do anything but workout or eat healthier. What works for one person might not work for you! Ultimately, you need to get moving and try to make healthier choices every day. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!